This handmade bracelet features the symbols for each of the eight planets (sorry, Pluto!). These symbols have their origin in medieval Byzantine astronomy, although their current form is a product of the European Renaissance. The meanings of the symbols are (taken from the NASA website):
● Mercury represents the head and winged cap of Mercury, god of commerce and communication, surmounting his caduceus (staff).
● Venus is designated as the female symbol, thought to be the stylized representation of the hand mirror of this goddess of love.
● Earth shows a globe bisected by meridian lines into four quarters.
● Mars represents the shield and spear of the god of war, Mars; it is also the male or masculine symbol.
● Jupiter is said to represent a hieroglyph of the eagle, Jove's bird, or to be the initial letter of Zeus with a line drawn through it to indicate its abbreviation.
● Saturn is thought to be an ancient scythe or sickel, as Saturn was the god of seed-sowing and also of time.
● Uranus is represented by combined devices indicating the Sun plus the spear of Mars, as Uranus was the personification of heaven in Greek mythology, dominated by the light of the Sun and the power of Mars.
● Neptune is the trident (long three-pronged fork or weapon) of Neptune, god of the sea.
Each of these links is lovingly created entirely by hand, using an ancient technique called chasing and repousse. This 5000 year old technique uses small, specialized tools and a hammer to push and form the metal, either from the front of the piece or from behind. This is a time-intensive, meditative technique which produces a beautiful, unique result.
This sterling silver bracelet fits a 7 inch wrist and is fastened with a handmade toggle clasp.